Friday, January 23, 2009

Cookies, tone and the art of forgiveness

Odd title isn't it.

So this is a 3 part post, and I am trying something new.
(change is good, change is good, change is good)

First cookies, Oh how I love them. My friends daughter made me the BEST ones that I have eaten and I need that recipe. Yummy little pumpkin-spicy chocolate chip wonders with a glaze on top! TO DIE FOR.

Then about a week or so ago, I saw a recipe for chocolate chip bacon cookies. Not a combination that I would have put together, but it does satisfy the "salt and chocolate" urges that women get at certain times of the month. I tried them. Not the actual recipe from the TV show, but I did fry up some bacon, and made chocolate chip cookies and ate them together. (thank you Carrie for the idea.) It was a different taste, but not offensive. I may be persuaded to make them again. Maybe.

Tone. Tone is extremely difficult to judge here on the Internet. Most people (including myself) when reading an e-mail or a blog post, or even a Facebook note on your wall, read with a preconceived idea as to the tone of what the author is trying to say.
For example the Tone I use in my blog is not confrontational. I try to keep it informative. And by that I mean MY blog is a window into MY brain. I use it to express my feelings, insecurities, sadness's and joy. I write for me and me alone and I allow others to read it. I do not use it as a platform to attack. Anyone that truly knows me and has been on the receiving end of an attack from me knows that if we have a problem, you know it. I am not so passive aggressive that I post as a form of attack. My attacks usually come in the form of phone calls and if I am truly pissed off at you I will show up at your house and request a face to face.
Now back to tone and the way we take things. When my neighbor read the post I deleted yesterday she felt that I was angry and not happy with her as she expressed her feelings to me that she thought it wasn't my place to be a warning beacon to the community.
Kate who read the same post and had the opposite reaction. Just going to show that 2 different people can and usually do take things in different ways. 1 thought it to be about her, the other thought it was informative.

My tone in that post was to be informative. It was to let people know that things do happen in happy little bedroom communities. It was to say that I didn't take it seriously at first because I didn't want to believe it. Deep down in my heart, I had to check the facts. Not only for my own peace of mind, but also for the safety of my children. They walk home from school every day, and I as a mother will do what ever I need to do to protect them. If that ruffles a few feathers oh well. I was not put on this earth to be the peace maker. It is NOT in my genetic makeup.
My therapist warned me when I put up the new blog (after the drama the old blog caused) that some how drama would find me again if I made it public instead of keeping it just for me.
I really don't want to have to make it private, but if MY posts and MY opinions start attracting drama again, I will do just that. (Sorry Kate.)
I am filtering out as much drama from my life and I do not want the tone of my life to be a reflection of drama.
I regret having to delete the post, but in order to filter away the drama, I felt that it was best. However that being said, I will not be deleting any more nor censoring what I say. I do not excuse myself for the things I say here. The things that I say reflect my beliefs and my personality. By deleting that post I removed a part of myself and that is something I have to forgive myself for.
Speaking of forgiveness, we had a lesson in it here on Tuesday. Many many times I have told the 3 other people that live here not to leave their things on the stairs. It is a safety hazard and someone is going to get hurt. Multiple times over the course of 4 days, I asked my son to remove his spare pillow from the stairs. He did not, and on Tuesday I stepped on that pillow and fell down a few stairs. The X rays that I had taken don't show any bone damage which I am thankful for and the doc has me taking care of the pain with Aleeve. Which actually WORKS. She did call me in something with Codeine in it so that I could sleep, but after my dopiness the other night, I don't foresee me using it again.
I have forgiven my little boy. I forgave him the minute it happened. He comes home from school and hands me notes saying I am sorry. I write him notes saying I forgive him and that I know it was an accident and that he didn't do it on purpose. I hope to help him find a way to forgive himself so that he can have some peace.
Forgiveness is something that should be given freely to others and ourselves. It is something that we are all worthy of.
Our ability to forgive says alot about us as people. And keeps us at the very least 1 step above animals.

3 comments:

Short Round said...

Bravo Eileen. This is your blog and you are entitled to write what you feel. It is a burden we all carry to believe that the world revolves around us and to take things that have nothing to do with us and make them our own. I hope that if your blog causes someone to feel that way, they will just choose not to read it, recognizing that they are unable to take "themselves" out of it. I hope, also, that your friends learn to trust you, your intentions , and your core goodness. I know I do.

Eileen said...

And it is for people like you Kate, that make me feel good about the things that I write.
I am wearing strechie pants tonight in anticipation of Mr. Kah.
(wonder what kind of bruhaha that will start!) hee hee

Short Round said...

I will wear stretchy pants in your honor...if I have time to change after work. :)