Thursday, January 1, 2009

$ 10.25

I hate starting things with numbers.....I feel like I am getting ready to break into a song from rent.

I have to start with a number however because I am 1. horrified that movie prices have gone up to 10.25 to see a movie, and that people pay that amount and then treat the movie theater like it is their personal living room.

My husband is rolling his eyes at me for this because he knows that I have a thing with movie theaters. (actually it is the people that go there.)

So that I don't turn into a beast and snarl at the people around me, I typically sit in the back. (unless of course I am with someone who hates the back and then I insist on sitting on the end so that I can get out and cool off if necessary)

I can't stand listening to some one scarf down their popcorn I HATE it. Popcorn eating smackers are drawn to me and always seem to sit behind me. But, as usual, I digress.

The reason why I am writing tonight is this. Kate and I went to see Ani and John's new beautiful baby boy today. He is absolutely darling. He is bigger than my children were at his tender age of 5 days old. BUT I can't remember my kids being that small. Oh how they grow. Anyway after the visit with Ani, and John we went to dinner, then to Bridgeport for a movie.

The movie was lovely. We saw Benjamin Button. You must see this movie. It is a long 166 minutes, but it is such a nice story. Its not the feel good movie of the year, but it is very entertaining and I did NOT do a watch check half way through. A good sign that I am being entertained.

We got to the theater early enough to snag the BEST spot in my opinion. On the end in the back. Oh how happy I was knowing that NO ONE could bother me tonight. Boy was I wrong. We couldn't have been in our seats 5 minutes before 2 people chose to sit almost on top of Kate in a virtually empty row instead of leaving the courtesy seat between strangers. (I know what you are thinking, I am being overly sensitive. Usually I'd agree with you, but there were plenty of seats for these yahoos to sit in so WHY did they choose to sit by us.) Needless to say Kate and I moved seats. To the Handicapped seats saying very loudly to those around us that we'd happily move if a disabled person needed the seats. Then Dork ball that plopped down next to us says "Oh ya no one ever sits there" I almost yelled across Kate saying, "then why the hell didn't you sit there butt wad" But I didn't. Now I mentioned that the movie was 166 minutes for a reason. Kate and I for 166 minutes got to listen to dork wad smoosh and open his candy wrappers. Slowly and loudly. Over and Over again. We also got to listen to them talk in their normal voices (not whispers) during the entire movie. These people thought that they were at home. They would get up, drop things, go pick them up, stretch, talk and just be rude to those around them with their noise level. I only had to listen to the guy I have dubbed the squeaker. His chair needed to have its hinges greased as the chair as he rocked it went squeak squeak squeak squeak, you get the picture.
Why is it that we as a society have become so rude? Why is it socially acceptable to say bring in a bag of fast food into a movie theater, or talk loudly through a movie. I understand that they also paid the same amount of money for their tickets to see the movie, but when they put up a poster at the theater saying "please be considerate of those around you and silence your cell phone" shouldn't you also silence yourself? Or do we need a poster for that too?