Thursday, June 10, 2010

This is my favorite poem and about sums up my feelings right now.

"I'm Fine thank you"

There is nothing the matter with me
I'm as healthy as I can be.
I have arthritis in both my knees
and when I talk I talk with a wheeze.

My pulse is weak and my blood is thin
but I'm awfully well for the shape I'm in.
Arch supports for both of my feet
or I wouldn't be able to be on the street.

Sleep is denied me night after night
but I find in the morning that I'm all right.
My memory is failing and my heads a spin
but I'm awfully well for the shape I'm in.

The moral is this as my tale I unfold
that for you and me who are growing old,
It's better to say "I'm fine" with a grin
than to let folks know the shape we are in.

How do I know that my youth is all spent?
Well my "get up and go" just got up and went.
But I really don't mind when I think with a grin
of all the grand places my "get up" has been.

Old age is golden, I've heard it said;
but sometimes I wonder as I get into bed.
With my ears in a drawer and my teeth in a cup
my eyes on the table until I wake up.

Ere sleep over takes me, I say to myself,
"is there anything else I could lay on the shelf?"
When I was young my slippers were red,
I could kick up my heels over my head.

When I was older my slippers were blue
but I could still dance the whole night through.
but now that I'm old my slippers are black,
I walk to the store and puff my way back.

I get up each morning and dust off my wits
I pick up the paper and check the obits.
If my name is still missing, I know I'm not dead
so I fix me some breakfast and go back to bed.

Author Unknown.

No comments: